Arrange fennel in a 10" baking dish, and scatter butter and garlic around fennel...
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. butter, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange fennel in a 10" baking dish, and scatter butter and garlic around fennel.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add hot stock and bake until tender and browned, about 1½ hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon cream over fennel, sprinkle nutmeg over cream, then sprinkle fennel with parmigiano-reggiano.
- Broil until golden, about 1 minute.
- Serves 4.