Prep and Cook Time: about 20 minutes. Notes: Baby Green Romaine lettuce is perfect for this recipe. Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole small heads of baby green romaine lettuces rinsed and patted dry
- 1/8 pound manchego cheese, shaved into thin curls with a vegetable peeler
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- With the flat side of a knife, mash the anchovies to a paste. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut lettuces in half lengthwise, keeping leaves attached to cores. Brush all over with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons anchovy dressing.
- Lay lettuces on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level for 5 to 6 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until lettuces are softened and streaked brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place lettuces cut side up on a platter. Drizzle remaining dressing over lettuces and top with manchego curls. Serve with lemon wedges.