SO-CAL CUSTOMER VISITS
Recently, Matt and Loren had the opportunity to visit some of our amazing customers in Los Angeles and San Diego. We appreciate these folks so much and love to connect with them whenever possible. Unfortunately we weren't able to get photos with everyone we visited but would like to thank them all for taking time out of their day to hang out with us!
Top Photos: Jennifer, Telma, Bob, and Nataly of Davalan Fresh; Bottom Left: Alvaro, Alex, Richard and David of Specialty Produce; Bottom Right: Tad of Coast Produce
Irish Corned Beef and Vegetables
With St. Patrick's day just around the corner, we decided to include some of our favorite Irish recipes. View this Recipe Here!
Using the Whole Veg'
A growing trend we have seen in recent years is the minimization of food waste. Many chefs we've talked to have made this a priority in their kitchens. In the fresh vegetable category, there are many ways this can be achieved. Whether it be sauteed root vegetable tops, pickled broccoli stems, etc. using the whole veg is a practice that is picking up steam quickly. Learn more here!
Rain in the Forecast for Next Week...
After last week's modest rainfall, we expect to see more rain this weekend and later next week. We will be sure to keep our customers updated if there are any product shortages or delays due to the weather.
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Leeks, Baby (1 dz. Bunches) - Great Availability!
- Lettuces, Baby Head - Great Availability!
- Brussels Sprouts, Baby Purple & Green (12: 1/2 pt.) - Good Availability!
- Carrots, Baby French (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby Mix (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Celery Root (12 ct. & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Chervil (10 x 1 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Radishes, Specialty (24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Black (10 & 25 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Parsley Root (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Cabbage, Honey Cone (16 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Kale, Lacinato (12 & 24 ct.) - Great availability!
- Kale, Green (24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Turnips, Tokyo (12 & 24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Cabbage, Savoy - Limited Availability
- Cabbage, Red - Limited Availability
- Carrots, Baby Round - Limited Availability
- Lettuce, Little Gem - Limited Availability or N/A
- Romanesco, Baby & Large - Limited Availability
- Fennel, Baby & Large - Limited Availability
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green & Red - Limited Availability
- Baby Mixed Cauliflower - Limited Availability
- Beets, Baby All Colors - Limited Availability
- Bok Choy, Baby - Limited Availability
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
Every month, Babé Farms conducts safety meetings with our wonderful field crews. Each month a new topic is discussed and there is a raffle in which prizes are awarded to those who answered safety questions correctly. We are so thankful for our hardworking crews and find that this is a fun incentive to ensure they stay up to date on the proper harvesting practices.
Maria Hernandez (Babé Farms HR) talks safety practices with the field crews.
World of Pinot Noir
We were so happy to be a part of the World of Pinot Noir event last weekend at the Ritz Carlton Bacara in Santa Barbara.
"The annual World of Pinot Noir event gathers the planet's foremost Pinot Noir wineries and winemakers, renowned chefs, sommeliers and leading wine scholars in a weekend-long seaside celebration of this delicious and storied wine."
Babé Farms worked in conjunction with Executive Chef Umit Kaygusuz to provide vegetables for the "Bounties of the Santa Maria Valley" dinner which was a huge success. We are very grateful for the opportunity to represent the Santa Maria Valley (along with our friends at Susie Q Brand) at this prestigious event!
A bounty of Babé Farms veggies and Santa Maria Valley Strawberries
- 5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, sliced in half lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (packed) shredded savoy cabbage* (from about ¼ large head), divided
- 1¼ cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cover potatoes with water in a small pot; season with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until a paring knife slides easily through the flesh, 30-40 minutes. Drain, let cool slightly, and peel.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant and leeks are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 3 minutes longer. Add 1 cup cabbage and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted. Add milk and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and remaining 1 cup cabbage, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer colcannon to a large serving bowl. Top with remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and sprinkle with scallion.
* = Babé Farms Product
It's been a long time coming, but Babé Farms finally has some representation in the Santa Maria Girls Ponytail Softball league. Lead by shortstop Alicia Duncan, daughter of Adrian Duncan (Babé Farms Sales) the Gators are primed for a breakout season. With the help of some trades made in the offseason and some key free-agent signings (not to mention new jackets courtesy of Babé Farms) it appears the Gators are a serious contender this year. Good luck, girls!
Babé Farms was a sponsor for the SYV Touch-a-Truck event at Bethania Lutheran Church in Solvang. This unique event gives kids the opportunity to climb on, learn about, and explore all kinds of vehicles. All the proceeds from the event will be used to benefit the Bethany Preschool and Afterschool programs.
Jeff Lundberg, his kids, Eddie & Karli and friend, Jordan Horst enjoying Touch-a-Truck
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!