In late May, we had the honor of exhibiting at this year's West Coast Produce Expo in Palm Desert, CA. Presented by The Packer, the expo featured many of the produce industry's finest companies. The Babé Farms crew had our full line of specialty veggies on display with the spotlight on our seasonal baby artichokes. The show was a great opportunity to escape the heat, visit with many of our great customers, and form new relationships. Thank you to The Packer for putting it together. We look forward to attending next year!
Left to Right: Chris Cordero (VP), Ande Manos (Marketing), Matt Hiltner (Marketing)
Brassica Breakfast Bowl
This week, we would like to recognize one of our hardest working and most dedicated foreman, Alejandro Soriano. Alejandro is in charge of our lettuce harvest crews and does an unbelievable job of making sure each box of lettuce is packed with care and is the best quality product possible. Babé Farms is first and foremost a family farm; this is especially true for Alejandro considering both his parents and younger brother, Isaias are also part of our team. A big thank you to Alejandro and the rest of the Soriano family for everything they do for Babé Farms!
The Produce Nerd
Recently we were paid a visit by our friend Megan from the Produce Nerd. The Produce Nerd is a blog intended to educate readers on the growing, harvesting, and packing processes in the produce industry. This was Megan's second visit to Babé Farms and we were so happy to have her back. Check out her blog here!
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Leeks, Baby (1 dz. Bunches) - Great Availability!
- Lettuces, Baby Head - Great Availability!
- Bok Choy, Baby (10 & 30 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Beets, Baby (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Frisee, Baby (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Frisee, Blonde (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby French (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby Mix (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Purple Ninja (24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Red (12 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Radishes, Specialty (24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Black (10 & 25 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Turnips, Tokyo (24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Parsley Root (12 ct.) - Great !
- Cabbage, Savoy - Limited Availability
- Cabbage, Red - Limited Availability
- Chervil - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Baby and Large - Limited Availability
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
We may have featured her last time but Sarah Strachan has been killing it with her recipes and photos lately and so we decided to double up! The featured dish is roasted Babé Farms baby carrots and Tokyo turnips with turmeric, tahini, mint, and pomegranate. The avocado toast with sliced root vegetables and brassica breakfast bowl pictured above are also her photos. Be sure to check out her Instagram here!
Sales Team Field Trip
Some members of our sales team recently met in the field with our General Manager of production, Jason Gamble, to learn about some new lettuce varieties he is trialing. You can get excited for some new Babé Farms lettuces in the near future!
Top-Left: Rocio Munoz and Jason Gamble; Top-Right: Ande Manos and Adrian Duncan; Bottom Left: Rosa Cerda and Adrian Duncan
Grilled Baby Artichokes
- 2 lemons, halved
- 15 baby artichokes
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- fresh thyme
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 of the lemon into bowl of water.
- Clean and trim the baby artichokes by snapping off the dark-green outer leaves of the artichoke until only the pale, tender inner leaves remain. Trim about 1/4 inch off of the top of the artichoke, removing any sharp tips. Trim the end of the artichoke and then slice it in half. Drop the prepped artichoke in the lemon water and repeat the process for the remaining baby artichokes.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the artichokes and boil until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain them from the water and pat dry.
- Prepare your indoor or outdoor grill over medium heat. Mix the oil, garlic, juice of 1 lemon and thyme in small bowl. Brush the artichokes with the mixture and transfer to the grill. Grill until tender and charred in spots, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Transfer artichokes to platter. Pour the remaining oil mixture into small bowl and serve alongside for dipping.
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!