PMA Foodservice Expo
Recently, the Babé crew made their way to Monterey, CA for this year's PMA Foodservice Conference & Expo. This is one of our busiest shows of the year as we have the opportunity to meet with many of our great customers and friends in the foodservice industry. Our booth was filled with plenty of colorful veggies as always, but this time with the addition of the new French Violet Radish and Large Purple Ninja radish. It's safe to say this purple power couple stole the show! Until next year, Monterey!
Left to Right: Ande Manos, Rosa Cerda, Rocio Munoz, Ramona Chavez, Jeff Lundberg
Roasted Baby Romanesco with Tahini, Mint, & Pomegranate
Recent Farm Tours
The weeks surrounding PMA Foodservice are always a great time for our customers (especially those from out-of-state) to visit the farm. This year we were fortunate to host one of our largest groups in awhile, including members from Baldor Food, LA Specialty, and Food Buy. We hope this tour was a fun and educational experience for the whole group and we appreciate them taking the time to visit us!
The next visitor to the farm was Emily Kohlhas from John Vena Produce in Philadelphia, PA. Emily showed up ready to learn and was sure to take plenty of photos as you can see below. It's refreshing to meet someone with so much enthusiasm for produce. Thank you to Emily for making the trip, we hope the experience was as educational for you as it was for us!
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Leeks, Baby (1 dz. Bunches) - Great Availability!
- Lettuces, Baby Head - Good Availability!
- Beets, Baby (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Frisée, Baby (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Frisée, Blonde (12 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Carrots, Baby French (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby Mix (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Purple Ninja (24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Red (12 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Black (10 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Parsley Root (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Red Oak - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Teen - Limited Availability
- Radish, Easter Egg - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Breakfast - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Violet - Limited Availability
- Turnips, Tokyo - Limited Availability
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
This month, we will be featuring Anthony Zamora, Executive Performance Nutrition Chef of the Utah Jazz.
Anthony started cooking with his mom when he was three years old. He vividly remembers being in the kitchen on a stool helping her roll tortillas. Anthony studied performance nutrition and dietetics at the University of Tennessee, which led him to combine his love for culinary with sports nutrition. His professional career started in 2014 working with the then St Louis Rams. He is now the executive Performance Nutrition Chef with the Utah Jazz Basketball Club. A big part of Anthony's role is finding creative ways to increase the nutrient density and quality of meals for his athletes. Working with Babé allows him to diversify the athletes' options daily without ever being boring. The Jazz loves Babé!
Last month we did a takeover of CA Grown's Instagram! CA Grown is an amazing online blog dedicated to connecting Californians with their local farmers. This was a fun experience for us and a great way to showcase Babé Farms veggies to their many followers!
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli (thin rice sticks) or thin rice noodles for stir-fries
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 large red beet (7 to 8 ounces), peeled and grated
- 1 bunch radishes (5 to ounces), grated
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons slivered Thai basil leaves (may substitute regular basil if you can't get the Thai variety)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced pickled ginger(to taste)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated or chopped orange zest
- Salt to taste
- Romaine lettuce leaves for serving
- Place the rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 20 minutes, or until pliable. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drain the noodles and add to the boiling water. Boil 1 minute and drain. Rinse with cold water and transfer to a bowl. Using kitchen scissors, cut the noodles into 2-inch lengths. Toss with 2 teaspoons of the rice vinegar and the soy sauce.
- Place the grated beets, radishes and chopped herbs in a large bowl and toss with the remaining rice vinegar and salt to taste. Add the noodles, pickled ginger and orange zest and toss together. Taste and add salt if desired.
- To serve, line plates or a platter with lettuce leaves and top the lettuce with the salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve.
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!