This month, Babé Farms would like to recognize one of our most outstanding employees, Bertha Rodriguez (Wash Line Supervisor). Bertha coordinates wash line operations including washing and packing of all specialty root vegetables. Bertha and her crew work tirelessly to ensure every box is packed with care. We are so lucky to have Bertha on the Babé Farms team!
Parsley Root Fries
Photo by @eatwellwithsar
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Leeks, Baby (1 dz. Bunches) - Great Availability!
- Lettuces, Baby Head - Good Availability!
- Carrots, Baby French (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby Mix (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Celery Root (1 dz. w/tops & 25 no tops) - Great Availability!
- Fennel, Large (12 & 24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Purple Ninja (24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Red (12 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Parsley Root (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Red Oak - Limited Availability
- Beets, Baby (All Colors) - Limited Availability
- Fennel, Baby - Limited Availability
- Frisée, Blonde & Baby - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Baby & Teen - Limited Availability
- Radish Cincinnati - Limited Availability
- Radish, Easter Egg - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Breakfast - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Violet - Limited Availability
- Radish, Icicle - Limited Availability
- Radish, Watermelon - Limited Availability
- Turnips, Tokyo - Limited Availability
Avocado Toast by Chef Hector
Born and raised in the Santa Ynez Valley, Chef Hector Ibarra's love for culinary began at an early age. His earliest memories were made in the kitchen with his Father, creating different styles of Latin cuisine. After High School, he went on to attend Culinary School at the Art Institute of California in Los Angeles. From there, he worked in various restaurants from SoCal to the Central Coast, further diversifying his skills.
Hector came to Lido at Dolphin Bay in 2017 as the Sous Chef and quickly grew into the role of Head Chef. Chef Hector's goal is to bring back the authenticity of various cuisines and to fuse different cultures and flavors.
"I Am Ag" Photo Contest
To celebrate and help bring awareness to the diversity in Santa Barbara County Agriculture, the Santa Barbara County Farm Bureau introduced it's first ever, I Am Ag photo contest. We are happy to announce that Matt Hiltner (Babé Farms Marketing Coordinator) took home the 1st place prize. Matt and the other prize winners were presented their awards at the 2018 Celebrate Harvest Fundraiser Dinner at Tres Hermanas Winery in Santa Maria. Good job, Matt! *pats self on back*
Shaved Fennel Salad with Croutons and Walnuts
- 2 cups coarsely torn sourdough bread
- ½ cup walnuts
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 fennel bulbs with fronds
- ¾ cup torn mint leaves
- ½ lemon
- 2 oz. Parmesan, shaved
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place bread on one side of a rimmed baking sheet and walnuts on the other side (they cook at different rates). Drizzle bread with 3 Tbsp. oil; season with salt. Toss, squeezing bread with your hands to help it absorb as much oil as possible, until evenly coated. Bake until walnuts are golden brown and croutons are deeply browned and very crisp, 8-10 minutes for walnuts, 12-15 minutes for croutons. Let cool, then coarsely chop walnuts.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Let sit 10 minutes to let garlic mellow and flavor the vinegar. Whisk 3 Tbsp. oil into vinegar mixture, then add croutons and chopped walnuts. Season crouton mixture with some salt and toss to coat and let croutons soften slightly; set aside.
- Remove stalks and fronds from fennel bulbs. Remove fronds from stalks and coarsely chop; thinly slice stalks. Place in a large bowl. Cut fennel bulbs in half and thinly slice on a mandoline (if you have one; if not, practice your knife skills). Add to same bowl along with mint. Zest lemon half over salad, then squeeze in juice. Season with salt and toss to combine.
- Divide reserved crouton mixture among plates and top with half of the Parmesan. Arrange fennel salad over; top with remaining Parmesan and drizzle with oil.
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Check out the Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!