PMA FRESH SUMMIT
Another year, another Fresh Summit in the books! This year, PMA Fresh Summit was held in sunny Orlando, FL where the weather was right in the sweet spot (90 degrees and humid). The Babé team brought out all the stops to make sure our display was as colorful as ever, including a couple of new items we have in the works! This was one of the best PMA expos in recent memory; Nonstop traffic through our booth gave us the opportunity to meet with many current customers as well as build new relationships. Thank you so much to everyone who gave us their time during the show, see you next year in Anaheim!
Spooky Celery Root
Pumpkins are overrated! A good, gnarly celery root makes for the Halloween decoration you didn't know you needed. Carve out a face and it is borderline terrifying! See for yourself
Sheet Pan Roasted Rainbow Carrots, Radishes, and Parsley Root (Photo: @eatwellwithsar)
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and Babé Farms was honored to team up with Rabobank of Santa Maria for their fundraiser event. The vegetables we donated were sold at the event with all proceeds going towards breast cancer research. We were so happy to be able to contribute in a small way to a cause that is of the utmost importance to us. Great job with the fundraiser, Rabobank!
In other news, Babé Farms sponsored softball team, the Gators participated in a fundraiser of their own. Lead by co-captains, Ariana and Alicia Duncan (daughters of Adrian Duncan - Babé Farms Sales) the pink-clad Gators won the award for "Most Spirited Team". The prize was a (giant) check to be donated to Mission Hope Cancer Center. Great job girls, we're happy to have you on team Babé Farms!
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Celery Root (25 lb. Sack - no tops) - Excellent Availability!
- Celery Root (1 dz. w/tops) - Great Availability!
- Fennel, Baby (24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Fennel, Large (12 & 24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Red (12 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Parsley Root (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Romanesco, Large (12 & 16 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Head - Limited Availability
- Leeks, Baby - Limited Availability
- Carrots, Baby (All Colors) - Limited Availability
- Beets, Baby (All Colors) - Limited Availability
- Frisée, Blonde & Baby - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Baby & Teen - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Breakfast - Limited Availability
- Radish, French Violet - Limited Availability
- Radish, Purple Ninja - Limited Availability
- Radish, Watermelon - Limited Availability
- Turnips, Tokyo - Limited Availability
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
Halloween-Themed Roasted Root Vegetables
- Red Beets, Golden Beets, Rutabaga, Black Turnip, Parsnip & Rainbow Carrots
- Olive Oil
- 1 c. Black Rice
- 2 c. Water
- 1/4 inch slice of Ginger
- 1 Star anise
- Big pinch of Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
Honey Orange Vinaigrette:
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1/4 c. Honey Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 c. Hazelnuts, toasted & roughly chopped
- Place everything in a jar with a tight lid and shake to combine. Taste & adjust with sea salt & cracked pepper to your liking.
- Rinse black rice in a strainer under running water to get rid of excess starch. Place rinsed rice, water, ginger, star anise, salt & pepper in a pot with a lid. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and leave lid for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, remove star anise & ginger.
- Meanwhile, rustically cut a variety of root vegetables. Toss in olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees until tender about 30 minutes.
- Toss rice in vinaigrette and pour onto platter. When vegetables are done roasting arrange on top and finish with extra vinaigrette, sea salt, cracked pepper & toasted hazelnuts.
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Check out the Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!