We got creative for Valentine's Day this year! It's amazing what you can do with a few radishes and some cookie cutters. now we're wondering how we can apply this to upcoming holidays - follow us on social media to keep up to date!
Coming soon in limited quantities: Blooming Carrots! Blooming Carrots are convenient bunches of multi-colored baby-size carrots. Each bunch includes 3-4 of the following colors: Orange, Purple, Yellow, and White. Blooming carrots add a kaleidoscope of color to any plate and are excellent roasted, sauteed, or raw! Call your sales for more details and availability.
A Babé Baby Shower
Last week, we threw a surprise baby shower for soon to be mom of four, Adrian Duncan (Sales). Our sales team had a blast planning the event and watching Adrian open up all the baby gifts! Adrian and her husband Chris are expecting their daughter, Alanna to arrive March 23rd. Children Alicia, Ariana, and Christopher Duncan are brimming with excitement to welcome their new baby sister to the world!
TOKYO TURNIP SOUP
A nice, warm bowl of soup is the perfect remedy to those cold winter days. This soup by our good friend, Marissa Oliver-Horton features Babé Farms Tokyo turnips and yellow carrots as well as shiitake mushrooms, wakame, wild rice, scallions and micro chives. For more inspiration, follow Marissa on Instagram!
Yesterday we experienced heavy thunderstorms and hail in the Santa Maria Valley (as well as snowfall in the surrounding mountains). Coupled with the morning frost from today, we are expecting quality issues with some of our specialty vegetables and leafy greens. Cold temperatures will continue through next week with rain in the forecast for next weekend. We will keep monitoring the weather and providing updates as needed.
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Celery Root (1 dz. w/tops) - Great Availability!
- Chervil (12 x 1 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Red & Green Romaine (2 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Turnips, Tokyo (2 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Kale, Organic Lacinato (1 or 2 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Cabbage, Savoy (24 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Bok Choy, Baby (10 & 30 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Black (25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Romanesco, Large (12 & 16 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Romanesco, Baby (24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Kohlrabi, Medium Red and Green - Limited Availability
- Radishes, Specialty - Limited Availability
- Carrots, Round - Limited Availability
- Beets, Baby (All Colors) - Limited Availability
- Frisée, Blonde & Baby - Limited Availability
- Fennel, Baby - Limited Availability
- Parsley Root - Limited Availability
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
by Sarah Strachan
- 4 medium-sized (or 2 large) fennel, stalks removed and bulb sliced into 1-2 cm rounds, fronds saved for garnish later if desired
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or minced
- Zest of one lemon
- Parmesan cheese (the real stuff!), 1/2 cup (or more if desired)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Drizzle olive oil in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Arrange fennel rounds overlapping along baking dish. Brush tops with additional olive oil.
3) Sprinkle overtop the minced garlic, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4) Bake in preheated over for 45-60 minutes, or until fennel is softened and cheese is melted and bubbly. Switch to broil for a few minutes at the end to get the cheese extra golden!
5) Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.
View full recipe here!
Did anyone order a pallet of Baby Romanesco???
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Check out the Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!