Our office got raided by the Easter Bunny! The only thing more concerning than the mess is his apparent lack of remorse :o
Trade show season is back in full swing! The latest stop on our 2019 trade show schedule was CPMA in Montreal. As you can see from the photos below, the dynamic duo of Ande Manos and Rocio Munoz created a rainbow-licious display of our best and brightest specialty vegetables, including our brand new "Blooming Carrots!" We love CPMA for the opportunity to meet with some of our amazing Canadian customers as well as learn about new innovations in the world of fresh produce. We're already looking forward to next year in Toronto!
The Baby is Here!
If you read our last CROP TALK newsletter, you'll remember we were expecting a new babé on the farm. Well, we are so excited to announce that on March 3rd, Adrian Duncan (Sales) and her husband Chris welcomed baby Alanna into the world! At 19 inches and weighing in at 6 lbs, 13 oz. baby Alanna arrived 3 weeks earlier than expected. Adrian remarks that Alanna was simply, "ready to meet everyone!"
Recently, Adrian stopped by the office to introduce Alanna to the Babé Farms team. Check out the photo below of Adrian with baby Alanna and her son Christopher!
Roasted Rainbow Carrots
Colorful carrots and Easter have always gone hand-in-hand. Nothing beats a good Easter dinner and what better way to take it to the next level than with a vibrant and whimsical side dish of roasted baby carrots! This one is by our good friend, Marissa Oliver-Horton (@morethangranola on Instagram). Give her a follow for more inspiration!
Pacific Christian School Fundraiser
Last week we donated vegetables for a fundraiser for Pacific Christian School in Santa Maria. Check out Ella Grace, daughter of our Production Manager Ryan Claassen, showing off some of the bountiful veggie baskets we provided!
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green (1 dz. & 30 lb. no tops) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Blooming (2 dz.) - Good Availability!
- Carrots, Baby All Colors (2 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Large Mixed (25 lb. no tops) - Great Availability!
- Fennel, Large (12 & 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Head (2 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Turnips, Tokyo (2 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Radishes, Specialty (2 dz.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Black (25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Romanesco, Large (12 & 16 ct.) - Good Availability!
- Kale, Organic Lacinato & Green - Limited Availability
- Bok Choy, Baby - Limited Availability to N/A
- Chervil - Limited Availability to N/A
- Beets, Baby (All Colors) - Limited Availability
- Frisée, Blonde & Baby - Limited Availability
- Fennel, Baby - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Baby - Limited Availability to N/A
- Parsley Root - Limited Availability to N/A
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
This past month has been a busy one for the Babé Farms staff. We were fortunate enough to be featured on the TV series, "California Bountiful". The CA Bountiful film crew spent two days with us in the Santa Maria Valley. One day was spent in the field, taking a look at the harvest and packing process for a variety of our specialty vegetables. Mother Nature was kind to us that day, halting the seemingly torrential downpour that preceded and allowing us a window of time to film!
The other day was spent at the iconic Far Western Tavern in Old Town Orcutt, where Chef Maili Halme prepared a number of "farm-to-table" dishes using Babé Farms vegetables. Owner and CEO, Jeff Lundberg and his family were on hand to enjoy the stunning and delicious cuisine Maili prepared. We would like to extend a huge thank you to Chef Maili and her team for accommodating us! Also, shoutout to Tracy Sellers and the CA Bountiful team for the feature. We will post information on our social media platforms when the episode airs so stay tuned for that!
Braised Easter Egg Radishes
- 2 large bunches of colorful radishes, about 1 pound
- 3 large shallots
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 ounces salt pork or bacon, slivered into small slices
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley, leaves chopped into about two handfuls
- Kosher Salt and Cracked black pepper
Trim away tops and bottoms of the radishes, reserving for soup or discarding to compost. Slice each radish in half from top to bottom. Peel the shallots and slice into thin rings.
Heat the butter and salt pork (or bacon) over medium heat in a large heavy skillet - preferably cast iron. When the pork is starting to curl up at the edges and the butter has foamed and subsided, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they start to brown slightly about 5-7 minutes (maybe longer). Add the radishes, placing each cut side down in the skillet. Let them cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes or until the bottoms just start to color.
Add the balsamic vinegar and the water. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Remove the cover and continue to simmer for about 3-4 minutes, or until the water has reduced into a syrupy sauce. Add the the parsley and sauté for about a minute or two, until it's wilted.
Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Check out the Winter/Spring 2018 catalogue below!
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!