A big thank you to G&P Trucking for allowing us to wrap one of their trailers!
Has anyone seen this bad boy on the road?
Large Business of the Year!
Last week, Babé Farms was recognized as Large Business of the Year at the Santa Maria Chamber of Commerce's Annual Awards Gala. Our team was beyond grateful to accept this award, especially considering the many other deserving businesses in the Santa Maria Valley.
The Awards Gala was held at Allan Hancock College and included a red carpet entrance as well as hors d'oeuvres and drinks from local favorite, Testa Catering (See photos of their display below!) As you can see the Babé crew was dressed to the nines for the occasion. Thank you to the Santa Maria Chamber of Commerce for honoring us and to our staff, customers, and anyone else who has helped Babé Farms get to this point!
Pictured Left to Right: Ron Labastida, Matt Hiltner, Rosa Cerda, Ramona Chavez, Candice Curiel, Judy Lundberg, Carrie Jordan, Teri Beam, Maico Hernandez, Corey Maroney, Jean-Luc Garon (Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce Chairman)Chamber of Commerce interview with Jeff and Judy Lundberg
PMA FOODSERVICE 2019
Another successful PMA in the books! PMA Foodservice Expo in Monterey is typically one of our biggest trade shows of the year, and that held true again this year. Babé Farms had it's full line of colorful, specialty vegetables on display and were excited to debut a new line of hand-carved vegetable offerings now available via pre-order. The team had a great time meeting with our amazing customers and learning about what's trending in the fresh produce industry. We look forward to returning to Monterey next year!
Pictured Left to Right: Chris Cordero, Michelle Lopez, Ramona Chavez, Matt Hiltner, Ande Manos, Rocio Munoz.
Rainbow Vegetable Crudité Board
We were floored when we saw this wondrous creation! Prepared and photographed by the uber-talented Marissa Oliver-Horton (@morethangranola on Instagram).
Here's how Marissa describes it: "The ultimate rainbow crudités and cheese platter! Packed full of my favorite colorful baby veggies from Babé Farms - assorted radishes, carrots, summer squash and romanesco! With golden beet green pesto, roasted parsley root hummus, marinated feta, Brie topped with honeycomb and dried flowers, blue cheese wedge, roasted garlic, tempura garlic scapes, peas, caper berries, dried blood oranges dipped in chocolate and fresh herbs and edible flowers from my garden."
Lights, Camera, Babé!
In recognition of Babé Farms winning Santa Maria Valley's Large Business of the Year, the Chamber of Commerce filmed a video interviewing our owners, Jeff and Judy Lundberg. In the video, Jeff and Judy give some of the back story on Babé Farms and explain what winning this award means to them. We would also like to thank our friend Chef Maili Halme for volunteering her time to be a part of this video. Pictured below are Jeff Lundberg with his daughter Karli, and Judy Lundberg in the kitchen with Chef Maili.
Recently, Babé Farms played host to this year's class of United Ag Emerging Leaders for a farm tour. Each year, a select group of 5 agribusiness students will take part in the twelve-month, course designed to educate, develop, connect future agribusiness leaders. The program will offer components of the agribusiness industry, personal and professional development, networking and relationship-building activities, and guidance from leading industry executives through an intimate speaker series exclusive to the Agribusiness Emerging Leaders.
BEST IN SEASON NOW!
We have a plentiful supply of the following items:
- Kohlrabi, Medium Green & Red (1 dz. & 30 lb. no tops) - Great Availability!
- Carrots, Baby All Colors (2 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Celery Root (1 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Beets, Baby All Colors ( 2 dz.) - Good Availability!
- Beets, Bulk All Colors (25 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Frisée, Baby (12 or 24 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Frisée, Blonde (12 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Lettuce, Baby Head (2 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Leeks, Baby (1 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Parsley Root (1 dz.) - Great Availability!
- Radishes, Specialty (2 dz.) - Good Availability!
- Radish, Watermelon (10 & 25 lb.) - Great Availability!
- Radish, Black (25 lb.) - Good Availability!
- Romanesco, Large (12 & 16 ct.) - Great Availability!
- Bok Choy, Baby - Limited Availability
- Romanesco, Baby - Limited Availability to N/A
- Tokyo Turnips - Limited Availability to N/A
- Fennel, Large - Limited Availability
- Chervil - Limited Availability to N/A
- Radish, Purple Ninja - Limited Availability to N/A
*Check with your Babé Farms sales representative for more information
CHEF'S CORNER: HECTOR IBARRA
Babé Farms has recently begun a collaboration with local chef, Hector Ibarra, on his farm-to-table cooking demo classes. Hector hosts his intimate demo classes at a gorgeous ranch house in Nipomo and features multi-course meals using a variety of Babé Farms vegetables (check out some of his recent dishes below). His classes are normally on the last Thursday of each month, however, Hector will be taking a break in the coming months as he and his wife are expecting a newborn baby in August! Keep an eye on Hector's website so you can be first to RSVP for his next cooking demo class!
Testa Catering Showcases Babé Farms Veggies at Gala
As mentioned previously, food at the Santa Maria Chamber of Commerce's Annual Awards Gala was provided by Testa Catering, a local staple here in Santa Maria. Testa put together a gorgeous spread featuring tons of vegetables from Babé Farms! Giving everyone a chance to enjoy the fruits of our labor, so to speak, was the perfect way to cap off a memorable evening.
Big Beautiful Summer Salad
- 3 small golden beets (10 ounces total), peeled and trimmed
- 2 small ripe avocados (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as tarragon, dill, parsley, chives and/or cilantro)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup lightly packed microgreens (such as pea shoots)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 small watermelon radish, halved and thinly sliced on a mandoline (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Wrap beets together in 1 sheet of microwavable parchment paper. Microwave on High until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut each beet into 8 wedges.
Meanwhile, cut 1 avocado into 12 wedges. Chop the remaining avocado.
Combine herbs, buttermilk, water, garlic, 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon salt in a blender. Puree until smooth, about 10 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Add the chopped avocado; process on medium speed until blended and smooth, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
Arrange romaine on a large platter. Top with chickpeas, microgreens, corn, edamame, radish slices, beet wedges and avocado wedges. Drizzle with oil and the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice; sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Spoon the buttermilk dressing over the salad.
Babé Farms recently launched a digital catalogue where anyone can view our entire product line. We feel this will help our customers to better familiarize themselves with our products, pack sizes, etc. Check out the Spring/Summer 2019 catalogue below!
At Babé Farms we feel strongly about being good stewards of the land. We are 100% committed to implementing practices that preserve our natural resources, as well as producing safe, fresh produce for our end users.Click here to learn more!